ONS - Optical Networks and Systems
- Type: Lecture (L) + Tutorial (T)
- Semester: Winter Term
Tue 10:00 - 11:30 (L)
Wed 14:00 - 15:30 (T)
- Start: Tue, 03.11.2020 (L), Wed, 04.11.2020 (T)
- SWS: 2 (+1)
- Ects: 4
- Lv-No.: 2309470 (L), 2309471 (T)
- Exam: Oral examination upon appointment
Tutorial schedule to be announced
Contents and General Information
- Data-center networks: rack-to-rack, board-to-board, chip-to-chip, datacenter interconnects, intensity modulation, direct detection, single-mode fiber vs. multi-mode fiber, serial vs. parallel optics, space-division multiplexing vs. wavelength-division multiplexing, Ethernet (10G, 40G, 100G), Fibre Channel, scaling and energy efficiency.
- Access networks: fiber-to-the-X, passive optical networks (GPON, EPON, NG-PON2, WDM PON), statistical multiplexing vs. point-to-point
- Metro- and long-haul networks:
- System-design aspects: dense WDM (ITU grid), optical amplifiers, chromatic dispersion, coherent detection, optical vs. electronic impairment mitigation, capacity limits.
- Wavelength switching: wavelength selective switch (WSS), reconfigurable optical add-drop multiplexer (ROADM).
- Standards and protocols: synchronous optical networking and synchronous digital hierarchy (SONET/SDH), optical transport network (OTN), generalized multi-protocol label switching (GMPLS), software-defined networking (SDN).
- Optical networks in automotive and industrial automation: polymer-optical fiber (POF), MOST Bus, Profibus and Profinet, optical vs. electrical communication links, overcoming bandwidth limitations using digital signal processing.
Online examination registration via the Campus Management System for Students is required for all students!
Please contact Ms. Marlis Koch or Ms. Bettina Rasche (by e-mail to office∂ipq.kit.edu with your full name and matriculation number) to make appointments for the oral examinations.