Please note that the ONS lecture will take place in 30.10 R3.42 IPQ Seminar Room!
ONS - Optical Networks and Systems
|Type:||Lecture (L) + Tutorial (T)|
30.10 R3.42 IPQ Seminar Room (L)
Tue 11:30 - 13:00 (L)
|Start:||Tue, 17.10.2017 (L), Starting date for tutorial is Wed, 25.10.2017 (T)|
Registration for Lecture Participation: "Optical Networks and Systems (ONS)" by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Sebastian Randel
Contents and General Information
- Photonic interconnects: rack-to-rack, board-to-board, chip-to-chip, datacenter interconnects, intensity modulation, direct detection, single-mode fiber vs. multi-mode fiber, serial vs. parallel optics, space-division multiplexing vs. wavelength-division multiplexing, Ethernet (10G, 40G, 100G), Fibre Channel, scaling and energy efficiency.
- Access networks: fiber-to-the-X, passive optical networks (GPON, EPON, NG-PON2, WDM PON), statistical multiplexing vs. point-to-point
- Metro- and long-haul networks:
- System-design aspects: dense WDM (ITU grid), optical amplifiers, chromatic dispersion, coherent detection, optical vs. electronic impairment mitigation, capacity limits.
- Wavelength switching: wavelength selective switch (WSS), reconfigurable optical add-drop multiplexer (ROADM).
- Standards and protocols: synchronous optical networking and synchronous digital hierarchy (SONET/SDH), optical transport network (OTN), generalized multi-protocol label switching (GMPLS), software-defined networking (SDN).
- Optical networks in automotive and industrial automation: polymer-optical fiber (POF), MOST Bus, Profibus and Profinet, optical vs. electrical communication links, overcoming bandwidth limitations using digital signal processing.
|2017-11-13 18:48||3.06 MB|
|2017-11-10 10:30||471.69 KB|
|2017-11-10 10:28||317.33 KB|
|2017-11-16 16:39||572.54 KB|
|2017-11-16 16:39||184.86 KB|
|2017-11-21 17:11||197.74 KB|
Online examination registration via the Campus Management System for Students is required for all students of the new Bachelor- and Masterdegree Programm!
Please note that online examination registration for ONS is available from January 27, 2017.
Please contact our secretary Ms. Bernadette Lehmann or Ms. Tatiana Gassmann (by e-mail to office∂ipq.kit.edu with your matriculation number) to make appointments for the oral examinations.